Sunday, October 17, 2010

Whoops! Where did the time go?

I'm more than a little embarrassed that it's been nearly 2 months since my last post here.  Time seems to have just slipped away from me.  I hear that's common the older you get.  Remember the days when summer seemed to last forever and you thought that Christmas would never arrive?  Now, I feel like I have zero hours to get anything done!

Sadly, much of it is due to the absolutely suck-atude of my job.  There was a time that I crawled out of bed around 4:30 in the morning, walked into work at 6am and was home by 3:30pm.  Those were the days.  With the financial cutbacks of our time, my schedule has changed drastically.  I lost my shift to someone with more seniority because they were reducing the amount of people working.  Four days out of the week I'm not going in until 9am and I don't get home until 6:30pm.  Not a big difference you say?  Well, it wouldn't be if I didn't go to bed at 9pm!  Sorry, but I'm tired and worn out, so my bedtime didn't change with my shift.  Mondays I get a small reprieve going in two hours earlier and getting off two hours earlier.  That's the day I get to run some of my lesser errands that can't wait until the weekend, so it's not the break you would think it could be.  I know very well that I should be grateful that I even *have* a job, don't get me wrong, I am.  That doesn't change the fact that my life sucks big donkey right now. 

So I'm a zombie during the week after work, my fibromyalgia is antagonized beyond belief and the only thing I have any real energy for is playing World of Warcraft for about an hour or so.  With fibro-fog I can't concentrate on knitting very well and WoW is pretty much a no brainer most of the time. 

All that being said, I did start my "Central Park Hoodie".  I knit a bit on the weekends while catching up with tv shows from the past week.  I find the time between running errands and trying to keep the house in order. 

I was blessed with the best husband a woman could hope for and so the burdens aren't shouldered alone.  Here's a man who gets up at 3:30 in the morning, drives and hour and a half to work then again after work.  He takes care of the animals when he gets home at 3:45pm, fixes dinner and does a few other chores.  Wow, good thing I married a man 9 years younger than myself, haha!  My shift is just as hard on him as it is on me and I appreciate him immensely. 

It seems I have some decisions to make, though I make them hesitantly.  It was sheer luck when I got the shift that I had and though they say that things could change and I'll get my shift back, I don't believe them.  So do I job hunt, knowing that in all likelihood I'm going to working a similar shift?  Yea, doesn't make sense does it.

So, for now, I'll knit when I can and maybe during the zen-like times of actively knitting I'll come up with a solution that will allow me to have both a life and a career. 

No comments:

Post a Comment